Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Planting Seeds

I enjoy planting seeds. It is fun to watch something grow from just a tiny seed. It is hard to imagine that a tomato plant, or colorful flower is just inside a tiny seed. Where does this flower come from? Where do the tomatoes come from?

Where do customers come from? How do they hear about my business? Is marketing like planting seeds in your community?

The seed can't grow by itself, but I can plant it and hope it grows. I can also plant it and spend the time, taking care of the soil, watering it, putting it in the sun light, following the directions and tending to it as it grows. Guiding it, and clipping the flowering, enjoying the tomato and sharing it with others. This is more beneficial. It works better when I have a plan, and just don't sprinkle my seeds all over the back yard. Sure, I may get one to grow, but it works better if I pay attention to it, and follow it all the way through to the end.


I can plant seeds in my business as well. Marketing is creating awareness of my product or service. I can plant "marketing seeds" around town, or in my local networking group, or in neighborhood meeting, or on the phone with a potential client. I can't force anyone to buy from me or use my product, but I can plant seeds during our conversations and interactions.

I can give them a feature and benefit, and point them towards the sunlight, water their ideas and guide them. I can help them grow. I can plant the seed of an idea, that they may need self-storage. I can plant seeds with the local college dorm students. Let them know I have boxes for sale.
It is beneficial for them to store their belongings with me, instead of bringing them home to Mom and Dad's house over break .
I can motivate them to use my product or service. I can plant seeds with my business cards, promotional items, targeted email advertisements and cold calls.

I like to think of it as planting seeds when I go on a marketing call, and not be too aggressive when I approach someone. This is beneficial for the 1st time marketing manager. The one who has trouble breaking out of the office.

It happened again yesterday. A gentleman named Jack came in the office. I met him about 18 months ago, while walking my dog. He came in yesterday, and rented a storage unit at $99.00 a month.

He said, "John, you remember me?" I did remember his face. He reminded me of his name.

"You're from Pennsylvania, and you walked by my house with your dog over a year ago." He remembered we had the same breed of dog, and I struck up friendly conversation about the weather and our jobs.
"I manage the self-storage facility down the street, if you ever need anything. " I said to him.

He told me he often thought about me when he drove by our facility, and I had planted a seed with him about storage.

I rest my case.

No comments: