Tuesday, December 9, 2008

simple marketing story

Simple marketing story
I remember stopping to get a ham sandwich with honey mustard at Honey Baked Ham about 18 months ago. When I walked up to the store front, there was a sign posted on their door:"OPEN until 2:00am TONIGHT"I inquired at the counter when I purchased my lunch items, about the sign and their intentions. They responded their business neighbors sold video games, and anticipated a crowd of over hundred teenagers with family members.
This age group was lining up to purchase an early release of a certain video game.Immediately, I thought about the line of people standing in front of these two stores, and how I could get this crowd at my self-storage facility. Biting into my ham sandwich, I did not even sit down to eat. I walked next door and introduced myself to the Video Game Manager. A conscious self-storage manager always keeps their marketing shoes on.

I pictured a line of eager consumers outside of a concert venue waiting to get inside, to hear their favorite musician. How could I market my self storage services to targeted audience? I would have their complete attention. What did they need?Sugar, food, water and caffeine. They were going to be standing in line for hours. Greeting Robert with a handshake and smile, I asked him about his business. He gave me a tour of the store, and I shot him my idea about donating candy, and a cooler of drinks for his customers. We exchanged business cards, and I told him I would be back after 7pm.
Mr. Yon at Honey Baked ham agreed as well, and both said I could create promotional bags with pens, business cards and a fl yer.

Wesupports GAMERS and offers half price for 1st month of storage with copy of this flyer through October.”I created about 100 bags with pens, business cards and a brochure and our logo key chain. I spent about $60.00 on candy, soda and water.

My district manager and home office were supportive of the idea.When I was preparing the items at my store, my landscaper stopped in, who rents two units with me. When I told him the idea, he got so excited he split the coast of candy with me, and I put his business cards in the bags as well.

Returning to the Video Store at 7pm, Robert allowed me to neatly display my bags with our logo, with the cooler on a table. I positioned the items so the teenagers in line, would read our "" sign, and grab a promotional bag and soda.Returning the next day to connect with the manager, and clean up my items.
He had an excellent turnout, and all my promotional bags were gone. I did not receive any direct business I can track, but the clincher is….
I wrote Robert an email, and a thank you letter. I did "pop" in on him once or twice 6 months afterwards, when I would stop in to get a sandwich.One day Robert pulled into my self-storage facility, and asked about personal storage. He was changing jobs, and joining the fire department. He was also getting married. This was an exciting, but stressful time for Robert.He needed two storage units, and didn't even ask about price. We had already established a relationship.
Robert the manager did rent two storage units in the future. Both Climate Control and both over $200.00 a month.Robert stayed with us for months and this sale resulted in a new friend, business contact, and about $2,500.I hope this story inspires others. I believe we can create our own opportunities.Marketing is an action verb.I now look for furniture sales, and partner with the mangers of the store, using a similar approach. I look forward to partnering with small businesses in the future. Marketing is fun.

John R. Wharton is a free lance writer, Newport News, Va. He was awarded the Entrepreneurial Success Award 2008 from The Virginia Peninsula Chamber of Commerce.

No comments: