Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Business is all about the people and relationships

My business I manage is 3.5 years young, and I'm convinced with each day that goes by, that the business, would be nothing without the customers. I believe we exist for the customers.

Although, sometimes it is hard to find the balance between...customer service and being the liason for the corporate office, but that is where people skills come into play. I also believe with the more experience I have, and the more situations I endure, the more confidence I will have in handling business situations they may present themselves on a daily basis.

Just like any relationship. The 1st year you have to breach the subject about who's house you are going to for Thanksgiving, but as each year goes by hopefully you have found a comprimise, and can come to anticipate situations presenting themselves.

Again, the longer I'm in the storage business. I believe it is more and more about the people I encounter, the relationships I build, the community,and my local chamber of commerce and rotary club.

It does not matter what business I was running, self-storage, coffee shop, T-shirt stand, it is not about the item I am selling, but the people in my community, and my relationships with them.

Relationships take work, they can go up and down like the economy, and sometimes have to be fixed, or jump started, but they are all we really have.

I encourage you to look to your local community, chamber of commerce, business networking group, or rotary club, and say..."What can I do for the group?"

jrw

No comments: